Digital technologies are all over: from cell phones and tablets to smart TVs and refrigerators. With the improvement of each new technology, be that as it may, the digital divide between those ready to get to digital communication and statistics and those without access increments.
Up to half of the adult population with a learning disability access the web, and mobile phone use is discernibly lower and less progressed than for individuals without learning disabilities. It can consequently be anticipated that the acknowledgement of advanced well-being contributions is likewise not normal among these people.
Notwithstanding this, present digital health technologies for individuals with learning inabilities cover a wide scope of purposes.
Obstacles to digital involvements
In their studies, researchers Sheehan and Hassiotis analyze the digital divide for individuals with learning inabilities when applied to mental health skills. They have identified three categories of barriers that create this digital gap between users. They are as follows:
· Applications are mainly text-based and require through reading.
· Frequent programming updates and changes to the format and interface that require the user having to re-figure how to utilize the gadget or involvement.
Association and backing:
· Not having suitable help to study new digital skills.
· Caretakers or relatives who debilitate the utilization of new technologies.
· The equipment digital involvements, for example, cell phones and tablet PCs, are expensive and just a little section of individuals with learning inabilities are in paid work.
· Even targeted learning apps do not come for free.
Advantages of advanced contributions
At the point when the above obstructions can be survived, digital mental health technologies can bring numerous advantages. Tele-services ad wearable devices can be of great help when it comes to aiding people with mental health issues. Such technology can help one monitor physical behaviour and help keep a track of progress.
Bridging the gap in mental health support
1. Universal design principles could improve the acceptance of digital technologies by individuals with learning disabilities, and by different users with intellectual, social or correspondence challenges. These principles include:
· Equitable usage factor
· Perceptible Information
· Error Tolerance
· Low physical effort
· Appropriate size and space
· Work together to optimize the accessibility of a technological intervention
2. Technology training in, expert schools and adult administrations may make an age of digital natives’ among individuals with learning inabilities who are equipped for utilizing new innovations for a wide scope of purposes in their regular daily existences.
3. Digital health involvements can give individuals with learning disabilities an assortment of means for imparting their necessities, trouble and prerequisites. Improved communications could be relied upon to decrease conduct that causes difficulties and pain, and are emerging from neglected or unseen requirements. New innovations can be created to give carefully upheld treatments or mixed consideration models of treatment (consolidating innovation conveyed and up close and personal help) for the treatment of psychological wellness issues.
4. Digital mediations can be aimed at families and caretakers of individuals with learning disability furnishing them with supportive social network and data to assist them in supporting individuals with learning inability.
Incorporation is however significant in the computerized world as it seems to be in reality. Sheehan and Hassiotis give an important outline of how new advancements can be utilized to help individuals with learning inabilities and the hindrances related to them.
The subsequent stages will be to assess the real adequacy and agreeableness of these innovations and to distinguish methodologies to help close both the advanced gap and the psychological well-being split between individuals with and without learning inabilities.